Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Final Plan



I'm dropping out of Brooks Institute of Photography. There are many reasons why.. Yes, they ARE promising the education they said they'd give us. Yes, it is an AMAZING school. Yes, by completing the three-year program, I could be off into the photography world with a great start. But, I'm very picky in what I want to learn to make my career happen. I feel that I shouldn't have to learn film, and I don't want to go off of a structured class timeline; I want to pick what I want to learn instead of having the school do it for me based on my major. I will never stop doing photography, and I will continue to do it, and teach myself the things I want to learn, and still be successful with it in the future. But now, I want to go for my original intent:

The combination of biotechnology and photography.

I know, it sounds weird. It doesn't make any sense at all, but at the same time, it does. You need photographs of samples and such, and I don't want to go into detail, but it's what I want to do. I'm going to go to Santa Barbara City College for two years getting my prerequisite mathematic and science classes out of the way, and then transfer to a UC (SBCC allows me to transfer to any UC) to proceed in getting my Bachelor's Degree in Biotechnology or Biochemistry (depending on which school I transfer to and what degrees they offer), get a job in the biotechnology field, and proceed onto getting my Master's Degree or PhD. I'll most likely have to move back to the Bay Area eventually because all of California's Biotechnology shenanigans are there.

So, hopefully in ten years I'll be that girl on the cover of Science Magazine in a lab coat wearing Fendi glasses and holding a camera in one hand, and a pipette in the other.

So photography and biotechnology, here I come.

No comments: